Monday 15 July 2013

Debugging Counterfeit Installations - Why I Don't Bother With Them

Note: This article is my opinion, and isn't intended to offend anyone [Point 3]

Although this blog post, is not exactly a tutorial or a link to a tutorial, I would like to explain why I don't even consider debugging a counterfeit installation and why you shouldn't either.

Effectively, most counterfeit installations take advantage of some exploit or apply some hack to bypass the activation requirements for Windows, this may explain to some of you, how you might notice a OEM_SLP key on a retail motherboard.

I'm assuming you know how to tell the difference between a counterfeit and geniune installation, therefore I'm just going to describe some of my reasons for not considering counterfeit installs to be worth debugging.

Firstly, counterfeit installations have key Windows files altered, in order to make the installation work, although, this can lead to most people having Windows Update difficulties. If the installation is not within it's original state, then it could give very misleading BSODs or crashes. For example, Stop 0x124's are handled by WHEA, part of the operating system, a corrupt driver could be the cause, but instead the cause is given to some hardware component, such as a data read from the Level 2 cache.

Secondly, counterfeit installations have many vulnerabilities and stability issues, the installation could easily be at fault and cause of the all the problems, if it can't handle basic tasks or procedures required by device drivers. The installation is most likely to be infected with some malicious software or code, causing further instability, if you able to resolve instablity at this moment in time, the same problem is very likely to repeat itself in the future.

Thirdly, and this may be slightly discriminatory, but from my experience, the user with the counterfeit installation, is usually very rude, impatient and wants a "quick fix" for their problems. The users I have had, mostly feel they are "smarter" than you, and will discount the installation as being the problem, and will begin to become abusive or impatient.

Most forums will not even accept counterfeit installations. Some users are completely unaware of their counterfeit installation, and will often be thankful for pointing it out to them. If you are victim of a having been sold a counterfeit installation, and can prove you were completely unaware, then I believe Microsoft can help you with it.

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Harry. I recently discovered an illegitimate Windows over on TSF whilst analyzing. I usually just notify the staff on said forum and the thread will be closed.

    I wish I could help the user, but unfortunately, it's a waste of time & energy, and if that's what the rules of the forum I am analyzing on say, I follow them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always notify the user first, since sometimes they will actually install a legal version of Windows, and we can begin troubleshooting. Otherwise, I report thread and the user to forum staff.

      Delete